Saturday, February 24, 2007

Sea and Sage Audubon Nature Day Camps

Well, it's only February, but its time to start making plans for summer vacation. When I was young(er) my mother signed me up for a plethora of camps every summer to avoid the infamous, "I'm boooored" statements that arise about mid-July and last up until the first day of school in September. In 2001, she signed me up for Sea and Sage Audubon's Marsh Camp. I was less than thrilled about it, I mean birds... how lame! But lo and behold, two days into the camp I was hooked, I would come home and corner my parents, telling them every little thing I'd learned during that day at camp. Since that I summer I have been avidly birding, and have been teaching Marsh Camp since 2003.

Marsh Camp: Session 1: July 9 - 13 Session 2: July 16 - 20
Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Ages: 9 to 12
Subject: beginning bird I.D., importance of conservation, learning about nests, feathers, birds of prey, nature journaling, crafts.

Fledgling Camp: June 25 - 29
Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Ages: 7 - 8
Subject: basic bird I.D., bird-related crafts and songs, appreciation of nature, Marsh camp prep.

Advanced Camp:Session 1: July 23 - 27 Session 2: July 30 - Aug.4
(with a Friday night sleepover)
Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
11 years and older* Prerequisite: Marsh Camp experience
Subject: Advanced bird I.D., birding by ear, habitats, endangered species, off-site field trips, painting wooden duck decoys, stained-glass stepping stones and other crafts.
Photography Workshop:July 5 - 7
Thursday through Saturday 3:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Ages: 12 through adult
A digital camera is required.
Subject: basic nature photography, understanding how to compose photos, how to approach wildlife in photography, and general photographic techniques.

So if you live anywhere in or near the Orange County area, and have children between the ages of 7 and 12 then click HERE and download the PDF camp application form!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's Alex (Mini-You.) Yep, what would summer be without camp? Gotta love those kids :)