Thursday, January 10, 2008

First Lab: Ornithology

This morning at 7am we met at Mason Park for our first ornithology lab. It was quite frosty and cold and my toes were numb, I guess rainbows were a poor choice of footwear...

It was an introductory lesson, and most of the group had never been birding before. Coots galore provided a good opportunity to get practice with binoculars, and get used to looking at birds.


We had a total of around 32 species - including Cassin's kingbirds, a spotted sandpiper, and a say's phoebe.

(As always, you can click on the photos to get a closer view, some are much easier to see that way)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update on the class. I always enjoy your pictures, even of coots.
At that time, I was driving to work at University High across the street from Mason park. I would much rather have been watching birds!
Bill B.

Unknown said...

Thanks Bill!