Friday, February 16, 2007

From the people who brought us yoga....

Well, my busy schedule has finally gotten the better of me, and instead of enjoying the holiday weekend, I am busy chugging tea and orange juice and watching marathons of Discovery Channel and Animal Planet on t.v. I generally don't like to take cold medicine if I can help it, except Nyquil at night to sleep through.

After two boxes of tissues, my stuffy runny nose finally drove me to try something my mom has been urging me to try for ages, a neti pot. Now I am a big fan of Indian food, and of yoga, but this technique of nasal irrigation was one Indian idea I was avoiding. The idea of running water through my nose, in one nostril and out the other was truly gross to me, but this afternoon, desperate for relief of my sinus pressure, I broke out the neti pot my mom had given me and gave it a shot.

The warm, slightly salted water felt strange to me, like getting water up your nose at the beach, but when the process was done, I could take a gloriously deep breath and my head felt so much better. I should have known that the region that brought me yoga wouldn't let my stuffed up nose down...
So, if all goes well, this day of rest might help me get better faster and allow me to enjoy the rest of my holiday weekend, and maybe get out birding in the near future!

1 comment:

Patrick B. said...

A co-worker of mine was telling me about an attachment she has for her waterpick that does the same thing. Also, my g/f bought a canister at the drug store that is intended for this purpose. I couldn't bring myself to try it!