Sunday, February 22, 2009

Wildflower Hike

The hike this Sunday was great. We hiked 8 miles in Limestone Canyon and along Loma Ridge. The day was overcast so it was cool out. We began by hiking up to the ridge then walked along it until we dropped down into Limestone canyon which we followed until we returned to the parking lot. We saw popcorn flower, Johnny jump-ups, California poppies, fiddle-neck, possibly chapparal pea, and some unidentified but beautiful and fragrant pale purple flowers. We saw non-natives like filigree (also called storksbill).
Wooly Indian Paintbrush
The birds of the day included turkey vultures overhead, a red-tail coming remarkably close on the ridgeline, bushtits, northern flickers, Nuttall's woodpeckers, and oak titmice. I also heard orange-crowned warblers, yellow-rumped warblers, and house finches calling.

I was concerned it would rain, but the entire hike was cool, cloudy, and dry, nice hiking weather. We walked comfortably, and a small group broke off to check out the Sinks, which I had seen the previous day. It was a great hike, and I truly recommend it, I know if it's offered again, I'll be signed up!
California Poppy

No comments: