Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Break From Rain

Well this weekend *fingers crossed* may actually give us a break from this rainy weather! Not that I'm not happy that CA is getting some much needed precipitation, but it'd be great to get outdoors. My cabin fever has been slightly mitigated by the fact that my cousin is teaching me to quilt, however, sometimes you just need to get outside!
I'm signed up for two very exciting sounding hikes this weekend on Irvine Ranch Wildland's property. Saturday will be a geology hike to the sinks in Limestone Canyon. I'm very excited about this since I've heard so many good things about Limestone but I've never had the pleasure of hiking there. The description reads: "Take a moderately strenuous hike to the spectacular cliffs called the Sinks. Learn about the geology of Orange County, the Irvine Ranch, and how this unusual formation originated." Sounds great to me, I love geology, and it's something I haven't studied much beyond my one college introductory geology course sophomore year.
Sunday I'll be attending a wildflower hike on Lomas Ridge. That program's description reads: "Last year the wildflowers along Lomas Ridge trail were spectacular. Depending on rain fall, we hope to have another showy year. We will be traveling up Hick’s Haul Rd. and then climbing to Lomas Ridge. Lomas Ridge has several ups and downs. This is an out and back hike if Limestone Canyon is closed. If the wildflower do not cooperate this year, at least the views from Lomas Ridge are incredible. Although the pace is slow, the distance is approximately 8 – 10 miles depending on the route and the elevation gain 800 – 1000’. Please wear appropriate clothing, carry snacks, and bring enough water for a 4 hour hike. Don’t forget to bring your camera!"
Trust me, I won't, there's nothing worse than forgetting your camera when there are gorgeous panoramic views to be had! To sign up for Irvine Ranch Conservancy's public programs, visit their website at: http://irvineranchwildlands.org/
Hopefully I'll have photos and stories to report come Sunday evening, I look forward to sharing with you all.

No comments: