Saturday, August 23, 2008

Stratford-upon-Avon and London

I visited the birthplace of William Shakespeare today. Stratford-upon-Avon is a quaint, if touristy, place with lots of cute shop fronts along it's high street. The River Avon runs along side the city, and is covered in boats.
Holy Trinity Church - where Shakespeare was baptized and buried.

We saw a modern interpretation production of a Midsummer Night's Dream, which is a great Shakespeare play, but not my favorite version. I tend to prefer traditional style plays rather than these stylized modern things - that being said, the theater was great and the lighting really made the show.
The Shakespeare Hotel - typical storefront in Stratford.

We did a walking tour which gave us a quick and dirty Shakespeare history, then had dinner at the Garrick Inn, which had a delicious vegetarian risotto! I enjoyed Stratford-upon-Avon, but I think all this gorgeous scenery we've encountered in England is starting to overstimulate me - I'm beginning to take it all for granted, "oh what's that? another gorgeous church circa 1200? ho hum..."
LONDON:
So I didn't manage to get a post in about our day trip to London, so I'll tag in on the end of this post.
The Tower Bridge in London (NOT the London Bridge)
Wesminister Abbey

The Globe Theater

No comments: