I'm a day late, but I wanted to make a Thanksgiving related post. The mascot bird of this holiday is of course the turkey! So here's a little info about turkeys...
- North American Wild Turkey
- The domesticated turkey (the one on your dinner table yesterday)
- Tofurkey! The vegetarian's turkey dinner
- Caruncle - brightly colored growths on the throat region. Turns bright red when the turkey is upset or during courtship.
- Gizzard - a part of a bird's stomach that contains tiny stones. It helps them grind up food for digestion.
- Hen - a female turkey.
- Poult - a baby turkey. A chick.
- Snood - the flap of skin that hangs over the turkey's beak. Turns bright red when the turkey is upset or during courtship.
- Tom - a male turkey. Also known as a gobbler.
- Wattle - the flap of skin under the turkey's chin. Turns bright red when the turkey is upset or during courtship.
- Scientific genus and species: Meleagris gallopavo