Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Marsh Camp - Week 1

Today was my first day of camp even though it started yesterday since I had class. The kids were fantastic, and the new and improved Duck Club was amazing. Instead of sweltering in a hot, cramped space like in previous years, we had loads of room, multiple fans going and even air-conditioning!
This Double-crested Cormorant put on a show for us, taking off and flying right by.

It was interesting because this week's camp is almost entirely made up of brand new campers. It's great to get some new faces in the camp, and all my familiar ones have moved up to Advanced Camp... *sigh* they grow so fast!
This female Nuttall's Woodpecker was a real treat.
Our walk this morning was great, the kids were so bright, and listened to Grace and I as we pointed out birds. They were great about writing the birds name's and descriptions in their journals, and we saw a lot of truly neat birds. If it weren't for the 84 degree heat and hot sun that washed out all my photos and kept us glued to our waterbottles, it would have been a phenomenal walk!
The kids really enjoyed playing the Migration Game, always a camp favorite.
I will be hosting the 29th edition of I and the Bird! The current edition can be seen here...

1 comment:

shawnkielty said...

Nice shot of the cormorant, there birder girl!