Monday, April 17, 2006

She's Got a Brood Patch!

Looks like my "mystery bird" from the last post was an Olive-sided Flycatcher. Olive-sided and Western Wood Pewee being the options. I blew up a few more pics, looked at my sibley and listened to the calls (even though I didn't hear it directly maybe I heard it calling while looking at other birds in the area) and asked a few of my better birder friends for help.

I went back out this afternoon around 3pm for round two of birding. Ran into Sally Menzel (co-founder and past co-president of Sea and Sage's Junior Naturalist Program) which was a very pleasant suprise. Got a few pictures of the monarch, the Great Blue on the trail was a treat, and a mother Tree Swallow complete with visible brood patch posed for me on the nest box. I promise I didn't get too close. It was a lovely and leisurely walk.





No comments: